Wednesday 13 August 2014

Race 7: The Dartford Half Marathon

Another month, another race with a stupid amount of hills....

After a distinct lack of training (this is becoming a worrying theme) it was with some trepidation that I set off. Having read that it was not a PB course, I was pleasantly surprised by the gentle hills. Until mile 3, which saw a 25m climb in the space of 1/4 mile. Which was nice.... What followed were 3 more similarly steep peaks, topped off with a killer final hill at about mile 10, which was a 40m incline in under 1/2 mile!

I'm pleased to say that I was able to keep a relatively consistent pace throughout the race and finished with s respectable time of 1:40, about 10mins off my PB so about on par for the course.

As expected, my 'support' staff was more interested in trying to steal my post-race banana but it was nice to be cheered along nonetheless! I was especially chuffed by hearing the MC at the finish line liken me to Usain Bolt as I sprinted (well, sped up slightly) over the finish line, which is nice!

Next up is the Canterbury Half Marathon, another hilly half. Training is going well so am aiming for at least 1:40 again, if not slightly better. I'll also try not to be QUITE so late with my update next time as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment