Thursday 24 July 2014

Race 6: The North Downs Run

Well, that was tough! Possibly even harder than the marathon the month before. I have included a copy of the gradients, which doesn't really do it justice. 30k trail run, you say? Easy, surely? Far from it. It started in 20C plus heat and only got hotter, hence the very stylish new hat! The heat also contributed to the worst cases of cramp that I have ever had, with both thighs seizing up within a km of each other at the 24k & 25k marks.

The upside was the scenery. It was probably the most beautiful race I am ever likely to run with plenty of time to take in the stunning views as a lot of the track was single file (certainly at the start) meaning that it was like a fast paced stroll corn & poppy fields.

Despite being struck down by cramp I was able to finish in a respectably time of 2:53:49. Having no frame of reference for this I am taking it as a good time!

I would normally say onwards and upwards at this point but given the hills, that it not accurate! Next up, the Dartford Half Marathon.






No comments:

Post a Comment