Tuesday 25 February 2014

Race 2: Headcorn Half Marathon

Sunday saw the second of my races, the inaugural Headcorn Half Marathon. It was a pretty cold day, albeit dry. The going was all on the road, thankfully, although it started with a lap of a very small park (more on the wet grass/mud later). I was supported as usual by my very understanding wife, my grinning little boy and this time by my mum, who doubled as official photographer.

It started with smiles before the hooter went off. There were not quite so many smiles at the end...








There were 380 starters on the day and I am pleased to say that I came in 37th with a time of 1:30:54. I am really pleased with this time, it being my first half marathon. The going was pretty tough, even though it was a flat course. Running into the wind was not overly fun but it was nice to run around the Kent countryside! I managed to keep myself going at a pretty consistent pace of 7 minute miles, upping it to 6:30 for the final mile. I even managed to sprint over the finish line, even though it involved running on mud which felt like I was running in slow motion! A bout of nausea later and it was off to the pub to rehydrate with a couple of creamy pints of Guinness and a roast dinner.

Onwards and upwards. Next up is the Sevenoaks Rotary Knole Park 10K on 16th March. I am expecting a slower time than the Bromley run, as this looks like it is mostly off-road. Here's hoping for no rain for the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment